Monday, February 17, 2014

Punta Cana


The past week I was in Punta Cana!  I had a fantastic trip and the beach and ocean were absolutely beautiful! 
  I didn't bring my mat with me but I was able to do yoga in the sand on the beach and it was such a fun experience!  In the sand it's a lot more difficult to hold balancing poses that are usually simple.  For example, tree pose.  I thought my balance was on point but the sand quickly made me change my mind.  When the ground is squishing and moving beneath your toes, it's hard to not wobble.
I tried some inversions and backbends too.  Headstands were surprisingly easier to do in the sand.  The soft ground formed around my head and forearms and my headstand was overall more supported and stable.  Also, the soft ground made me more confident because I wasn't afraid of falling.  I tried new forms of headstands and I tried out some handstands too.  I fell a few times trying out handstands and I'll definetly be working on improving.  Even though my handstand isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it's far from ideal. I'll add a 'before picture' of a handstand, mid fall.  I need to be more confident in my ability to try new inversions and trust my strength.  Backbends like bridge pose were also fun on the beach. 
I woke up early in the morning before the sun rose and got some really cool pictures of poses.  I'll include them below.  My trip was an amazing experience but I am glad to be back.  I miss yoga classes at the yoga shelter and I'll definitely be catching up on some lost yoga time.  Till next time, namaste.  

Bridge pose- backbend 
 A very bad beginning handstand- mid falling over ('before') 

Supported headstand 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella,
    Sounds like you had an amazing trip to Punta Cana! I'm so glad you had a chance to play around with some yoga poses on the beach. I know it can be very hard to balance, I have tried to do some ballet on the beach before and its very difficult. You took some really amazing pictures that you should definitely use somehow in your ending project.
    Have an amazing week!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete